Jesus Heals the Blind Man
Reference: John 9
Teaching Concept: In this lesson children learn how Jesus healed a man twice in one day. Not only did he heal his eyes, but he also healed his heart.
Early Arrivals Activities
1. Experience What it Feels Like to be Blind
Provide blindfolds for the children. Set up an obstacle course and have the children try to guide each other around the obstacle course. (Use only objects that would not hurt if the children bumped into them or fell on them such as pillows, cushions, etc.
2. Jesus Heals the Blind Man Paper Craft
What you will need: Paper, colored pencils or crayons, scissors, clear packaging tape (wide tape), chocolate pudding.
What to do:
1. Before class print out the Blind Man Pattern and Seeing Man Pattern, and make copies.
PDF Files -Blind man Pattern, and Seeing Man Pattern (Printing Problems?)
2. Make some chocolate pudding.
3. Cut out the seeing man pattern.
4. In class have your children color the pictures.
5. Fold the sides of the blind man picture up, unfold, and glue the seeing man picture in the center between the folds.
6. Have your children write on one side of the seeing man, "I was blind, but now I see!" and on the other side, "I believe."
7. Place pieces of clear packaging tape over the blind man's eyes. Let your children dip their fingers into the pudding and place it on the blind man's eyes, and then wipe it off, and open the paper to reveal the seeing man.
3. "Jesus Heals My Blindness" Activity Sheet
What you will need: Paper, scissors, tape, and crayons or markers.
What to do:
1. Before class print out the activity sheet and the glasses. Cut out the glasses.
Glasses Pattern - Glasses Pattern - PDF
KJV Pattern or NIV Pattern
PDF Patterns - KJV Pattern or NIV Pattern (Printing Problems?)
2. In class have the children color the picture and then tape the glasses to one side of the face. Explain that when we understand who Jesus is we are no longer blind. Read the words on the glasses and then say, "When we believe these words we are no longer blind." The lift up the glasses to reveal the seeing child.
Did you know that there are two different ways you can see? You see with your eyes, and you can see with rour heart or minds. If someone can't see with his eyes he is said to be blind. If someone refuses to believe the truth or doesn't know the truth he is also blind.
Jesus often talked about this kind of blindness.
Our story today is about a blind man who receives his sight twice in one day, and about some very foolish men who refuse to see the truth even though they have their sight.
One day Jesus and his disciples were walking along when they saw a blind man who had been born blind.
The disciples asked Jesus, "Is this man blind because he sinned or his parents sinned?"
Jesus answered, "No, he isn't blind because he sinned or his parents sinned.
Then Jesus did something strange. He spit on the ground, mixed up his spit with the dirt to make mud, and put it on the blind man's eyes and told him, "Go and wash in the Pool of Siloam."
The blind man did as Jesus said. When he had washed he could see! He was no longer in darkness.
His neighbors were amazed and had a hard time believing that he was the man who had been blind. They asked him what had happened and when he explained that he was healed by a man called Jesus they took him to the Pharisees.
When the blind man explained to the Pharisees how Jesus had healed him, they refused to believe him. They said, "Jesus couldn't have healed you because he is a sinner. He healed on the Sabbath and that is a sin. "
The Pharisees went and asked his parents what had happened, but they wouldn't answer them because they were afraid that they would throw them out of the synagogue so they said, "He's a man, ask him."
So the Pharisees went to the man again and demanded, "Tell the truth, we know this man Jesus is a sinner. There's no way he could have healed you."
The former blind man responded, "I don't know about that, but I do know that I was blind, but now I see!"
The Pharisees asked him again how Jesus opened his eyes. The man said, "I already told you." And then, since they seemed to be so interested in what Jesus had done, he asked, "Do you want to be Jesus' followers?
This made the Pharisees really angry, and they said, "We are disciples of Moses! We know that God spoke to Moses, but we don't even know where this man came from.
But the former blind man was very wise and said, "If God only listens to godly people then how could Jesus have healed me if he wasn't from God?"
This made the Pharisees so angry that they threw him out of the synagogue.
When Jesus heard what the Pharisee did, he went and found the former blind man and asked, "Do you believe in the Son of God?
The man said, "Tell me so I can believe."
And Jesus said, "You have seen him. You are talking to him."
And the former blind man said, "I believe." and he worshipped him. The blind man eye's were not only healed but also his heart. He could now see that Jesus was from God. He was healed of blindness twice in one day!
Then Jesus said, "I have come into this world so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind."
Father, We praise you because you are a God of healing. You can heal both our physical bodies our spirits. We ask that you open our eyes today so that we might see who you are and what you have done for us. Amen.
1. Discover What Spiritual Sight Is
What you will need:
Card Stock or the following objects: Small Bible, crown, heart, cross, lamb toy, candle. You will also need six lunch bags and scissors.
What to do:
1. Before class print out the shape patterns onto card stock (Heavy Paper) or collect the items listed. Place each shape or item in a bag.
Pattern 1or Pattern 2
PDF - Pattern 1 or Pattern 2
2. In class have your children take turns trying to discover what shape or object is in the bag, and what it might represent relating to spiritual sight.
3. Give a bag to a child and tell him to reach into the bag and try to feel the object or paper shape that is in the bag and guess what it might be. If the child can't guess, have him give it to the next child to try.
4. After a child has guessed correctly read what is on the shape or explain how each item relates to spiritual sight.
Lamb - "Look, the Lamb of God, who
takes away the sin of the world!" John 1:29. When we recognize that Jesus is the lamb of God we gain spiritual sight.
Crown - "Jesus is King of Kings and Lord or Lords" Revelations 19:16. When we recognize who Jesus is we gain spiritual sight.
Bible - "Consequently,
faith comes from hearing the message, and the
message is heard through the
Romans 10:17. When we read God's words and believe we receive spiritual sight.
Cross - "Jesus gave his life for
you on the cross so you
live in righteousness." 1 Peter 2:24. When we understand how Jesus died for our sins and ask for forgiveness we gain spiritual sight.
Heart - God loves you. He sent his own son to die for you so
you might have eternal
life. - John 3:16. When we realize how much God loves us we gain spiritual sight.
Candle - "Jesus said, 'I am the light of
the world.'" John 9:5. When we recognize Jesus as the light of the world we gain spiritual sight and no longer live in darkness.
1. Play the Youtube video of a 10-year-old Autistic Boy singing "Open the Eyes of my Heart".
2. Sing "Open the Eyes of My Heart" by Michael W. Smith. You can also buy Open The Eyes Of My Heart (Here I Am To Worship Kids Album Version)
from Amazon.com for $1.29.
We would love to hear your comments about this lesson. If you
taught this lesson, we would love to hear how it went, if you changed
anything, added anything, what age you taught and was it appropriate. Any comments that would help others teach this lesson are welcome.
Copyright © 2013 Digital by Design, Inc.
All rights reserved. No part
of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form
or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying
and recording, or by any information or storage retrieval system,
except for local church or school use only. This copyright
notice must be included on all copies. Requests for permission to
copy this material for any other uses should be addressed to Carolyn
Warvel, 588 Duran Street, Henderson, NV 89015 or e-mail me