Faith Bible Lesson, Children's Sermon and Bible Study
Firefly Faith Bible Study, Children's Sermon with Bible Activities and Crafts for Kids and Adults
The following crafts and activities come from the Bible lesson or Children's Sermon on The Resource Room and is also available as instant digital downloads in KJV and NIV. This study contains lesson for both younger and older children and appropriate games and activities for each level.
Teaching Concept: God gave fireflies the ability to produce light called bioluminescence. We also produce light when Jesus lives in us. Jesus takes away the darkness in our hearts and replaces it with love and light. That light grows brighter the more our faith grows. The more we study God's word, pray, and follow Jesus' example, the more people will recognize Jesus working through us. Soon we have a living light that isn't easily extinguished or turns on and off when our circumstances change.
Firefly Faith Activity and Coloring Sheet with Matthew 5:14-16 Bible Verse
Children color the picture and then use bright yellow paint to make glowing thumbprint lights on the fireflies. This activity sheet is available in both KJV and NIV.
Matthew 5:14-16 Firefly Faith Activity Sheet
Firefly Craft and Lesson Review Sheet Inside
Children color the firefly pattern, attach the wings, and insert chenille stems for antennea. To finish they insert the Bible lesson review and Bible verse sheet inside the firefly pattern. They turn the sheet to change the color to make the firefly look like it is turning on and off its light. The inside sheet can be removed to read the lesson review.
The activity sheet says, "God gave fireflies the
ability to produce light.
We can shine like the
firefly, but with a different kind
of light. Jesus takes away the darkness
in our hearts and replaces it with love and light. Our light grows brighter the more our faith grows. The more we study God's word, pray, and follow Jesus' example, the more people will recognize Jesus working through us", with Matthew 5:16, "In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds
and glorify your Father in heaven."
"Let Your Light Shine" Bible Lesson Review Game
To play players take turns throwing a die and moving that many spaces in either direction. If a player lands on a firefly in a white space, the player picks up the number of fireflies indicated on the space, from one to three fireflies, and places it on his jar. 4. If a player lands on a dark circle with a firefly, he must tell the other players one way in which a person can shine his light shine before others.
A player might say:
- Aways tell the truth.
- Help others in need.
- Be quick to listen and slow to speak.
- Never say bad things about others.
- Do not swear.
- Give God the Glory for success in your life. All things come from God, our talent, our intelligence, and our riches. If someone compliments you, give God the glory.
- Keeping your word. When you tell someone you are going to do something, do it.
- Be courteous and say please and thank you.
- More answers are available on The Resource Room and on the Digital Download.
5. Keep playing until all the fireflies have been collected by the players. The player with the most fireflies at the end of the game wins.
Play a Bible Verse Review Game
What you will need:
Cardstock (Heavy Paper)
Quarters or other playing pieces
Cardboard Box (Optional)
1. Print out the game board patterns and cut around the edge.
2. Match up the two sides so that one side overlaps the other and tape them together.
How to Play:
1. In class, have your children take turns throwing a coin onto the game board. Add up the numbers on any of the circles the coin is touching for that player. If the coin is touching the "Say the Bible Verse", that player must also say the Bible verse.
2. The player at the end of the game with the most points wins.
1. To make this game easier for younger children, place the game board against a wall or place it in a box with one side cut out. This way the coin will bounce off the sides of the box.
Matthew 5:16 Bible Verse Review Sheet
Children fill in the blanks by matching the pictures at the bottom of the page to the pictures at the top. When they are finished, have them look up the Bible verse in their Bibles to check their answers.